As you can imagine, salaries and bonuses will vary greatly by region and by the type of school. Some parts of China have a considerably higher cost of living than others. Before we discuss compensation for different types of schools, let’s discuss some points that will affect how much you will earn in China.
• Experience & Qualifications:
o Bachelor’s Degree: This is the minimum requirement for teachers in China. Possessing this should set your starting salary at no less than 8,000RMB/month + housing.
o TEFL/TESOL Certification or 1 year teaching experience: This is the minimum requirement for Teaching Nomad. If you need certification, click here for more information on getting certified!
o Teaching License: If you are licensed to teach in your own country, the sky is the limit in China. Salaries typically start at 15,000RMB and can go up all the way to 30,000RMB a month *
o Post-graduate degree: The better educated you are, the more jobs there are available. Though the pay won’t necessarily be that much higher, schools will favor your application.
• Location: Chinese cities are usually divided into different tiers. The pay and living expenses are generally much higher in tier 1 cities like Shanghai and Beijing than in tier 2 or 3 cities.
• Hours: As you can imagine, the number of hours you work will affect your salary. Training schools generally require you to teach 20 hours, and typically pay between 10,000-19,000RMB. At kindergartens and preschools, you can expect a similar number of teaching hours. Though the teaching hours at public and international schools aren’t much different, they require more class preparation time and are stricter on office hours.
• Benefits: Many schools provide teachers with housing and reimburse for airfare. In first tier cities, some schools provide a stipend instead or simply pay a higher salary. Health & accident insurance is always included, though the terms might vary by school. Employers that require you to live on campus—some international and public schools—will provide meals in addition to free housing.
Now that we’ve discussed some of the factors that will affect your pay, let’s discuss salary ranges depending on the type of school.
(1) Adult & Children Training Schools
8,000-16,000 a month. The higher paying jobs generally do not include housing. If you’re willing to teach up to 40 hours a week, you can make around 20,000/month.
8,000-18,000 a month. Though the pay is similar to that of training schools, the students are much younger and teachers work weekday, daytime hours. For a certified, experienced teacher, certain expat kindergartens offer salaries of up to 28,000.
(3) Public Primary, Middle & High schools
12,000-20,000. These schools almost always include housing and other attractive benefits. Salaries in tier 3 cities sometimes drop to 9,000 a month, but experienced teachers can make up to 20,000 in big cities like Shanghai and Beijing.
(4) International Schools
15,000-35,000. While not all International Schools are equal, they are pretty much the best you can get in China when it comes down to money. There are a few better paying positions in education, but they will typically require a proper teaching license or degree in education along with a solid work history.
With one of the highest concentrations of international schools, the...
20 Jul 2016
Happy Teaching Nomads
Kimmi, USA Placed in Shanghai
I truly appreciate all the work that Teaching Nomad did upon arriving to Shanghai. Teaching Nomad helped with everything else once I landed, from paperwork to directions. Everyone at the agency is wonderful and extremely helpful and welcoming.
Rafael, USA Placed in Shanghai
Teaching Nomad was by far the easiest process I have gone through. I was able to get all the information I needed to continue with the job application. It was quick, efficient, friendly, and effective (I got the job).
Andrew, USA Placed in Shanghai
I didn't know what professionalism was until I started working with Teaching Nomad. They have always responded to my questions and comment promptly and in a friendly manner. With Teaching Nomad I have truly found my dream contract.
Elsie,SA Placed in Shanghai
Teaching Nomad helped me at a time in my life when I needed to make a positive career move. They helped me find a position in which I feel challenged, motivated and where I have the opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge as a teacher.
Teaching Nomad is your connection to teaching in Asia & The Middle East! We are a western owned and operated teacher placement agency based in Shanghai. We take a lot of pride in connecting teachers with great teaching opportunities.
Jobs on WeChat
Kangding Road No. 1018, Yi Ge Building, Third Floor, Suite 306 Shanghai, Prc