The schools we work with provide the most lucrative compensation packages in the industry. Live great and save extra money!

Learn More

Most options

Great schools nationwide with options for Professional, Experienced and beginner teachers in almost every subject!

Learn More

Outstanding Support

A personal placement consultant as your point of contact through the whole process. Someone to look out for your best interests!

Learn More

TEFL Certification

On-line or in-class we have great options available for you to get the certification you need

Learn More

How to begin teaching abroad

First off, you need to make sure you’re ready.  95% of schools are going to require at least a 1 year commitment. Everyone is relying on you to fulfill this obligation. The school’s reputation with the parents is based on the quality of their teachers. The parents don’t want to see their kids changing teachers every 3 months. It’s not effective for learning.  So, you have to go into it with the right expectations.  If you spent extended time traveling abroad in the past, then you have probably already developed the right mindset and will be ready to face the challenges that come with living in a foreign country. If you haven’t traveled long term, then just expect a period of adjustment. Part of the commitment of Teaching Nomad is to set you up with schools that have quality programs designed to make this transition time easier.

Not to mention, you’ll be working with many other expats that are typically very friendly people. When you’re an expat in China, it’s like you’re automatically inducted into the expat friend club. Everyone is welcome.  In addition, you will have bi-lingual staff at your school that can help you with day-to-day tasks that require speaking the language.   Speaking the language is the other big key to making you feel more comfortable in your new home. In some big cities like Shanghai, it’s not completely necessary to learn Chinese. Although, I do recommend you try and learn it ASAP unless you want to spend all your time at Malone’s, the American Café.

Ok, enough mindset, now for some practical info. If you’re working with a Teaching Nomad recruiter then you probably already know what information is required to get hired. You need to provide the following:  resume/CV, recent photo, copy of your college degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent), copy of your passport and a reference letter regarding teaching experience.  These documents are required for two major reasons. First, they verify you as a qualified teacher and second, they will be used to obtain your residence VISA and work permit.

If you don’t already have a passport, you will need to secure one of these. Unless you pay for rush processing, it’s going to take a few weeks so don’t put this off!  If you don’t know where to obtain your passport, just do a web search for passports in your country and I’m sure you’ll find it.

Next up, you’re going to need your temporary Z-VISA.  This will grant you entry to the People’s Republic of China.  Depending on your country, you need to apply for this VISA with the Chinese embassy that presides over the territory/state/province where you live. In many cases this means that the nearest embassy may be far away. Rather than traveling across the country you can use a VISA processing service like the one Teaching Nomad recommends, VISA HQ.  Of course, the processing company needs to give your passport to the embassy, so you have to actually send them your passport (not a copy). It always seems scary to me to send away my passport, so only use companies you can trust. Depending on the service you select, you will receive your passport back within a few days up to a week later with a beautiful Chinese VISA inside. The cost for your VISA is determined by the country you live in and how quickly you need it processed. This 30 day, temporary VISA will get you into China.  After you arrive, your school will start the process to secure your residence permit. Click here to learn more about VISA HQ services.

At this point you may want to consider travel insurance. Teaching Nomad recommends using World Nomad (unaffiliated) coverage.  This will cover things that the health insurance your school is providing will not, especially if you choose to do some traveling while you’re here. This insurance will cover things like:  lost or stolen baggage, emergency evacuation (in the case of natural disaster or illness), trip interruption/cancelation and much more. Click here to learn more about World Nomad’s travel insurance.

At this point, you’ve covered most of the necessities. You may want to think about taking some Chinese lessons before you go or buying Rosetta Stone. When packing, make sure to put those bags on a scale, because most airlines will only allow you two checked bags up to 50lbs for free on an international flight. You can then still bring one personal item (purse, briefcase) and a carry-on (backpack or duffel bag).  Done properly and you’ll probably arrive with more than stuff than needed.

Hope that helps!

Nomad stories

5 Most Breathtaking Scenics in China (Eco-Tourism)

5 Most Breathtaking Scenics in China (Eco-Tourism)

  For all you great travelers, explorers, photographers, ESL teachers and...

19 Mar 2015

11 Cool Chinese History Facts

11 Cool Chinese History Facts

  1. Toilet Paper is a Chinese Invention  Toilet paper was invented...

11 Feb 2015

Should I Teach English in Saudi Arabia?

Should I Teach English in Saudi Arabia?

  Teaching English in Saudi ArabiaTeaching Nomad has branched out and...

06 Feb 2015

The best 5 meals in China for under a dollar

The best 5 meals in China for…

  1. 煎饼 (jian bing)The jian bing is China’s version of...

27 Jan 2015

Best travel locations for Chinese New Year

Best travel locations for Chinese New Year

  Spring festival will shortly be upon us, and for those...

14 Jan 2015

7 Great China Apps for Expats

      Before we arrive to a new country like China, off...

18 Dec 2014

Online vs On-site TEFL Courses, A review

  Many prospective ESL teachers wonder whether they should sign up...

10 Nov 2014

9 Things Not To Do (That You've Probably Already Done) In China

9 Things Not To Do (That You've…

  It is the bane of the business traveler in an...

14 Oct 2014

Happy Teaching Nomads

  • Elsie,SA Placed in Shanghai

    I met Sophia Isis at a time in my life when I needed to make a positive career move. She helped me find a position in which I feel challenged, motivated and where I have the opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge as a teacher.
  • Darlene, USA Placed in Shanghai

    Teaching Nomad considered my qualifications and provided me with several appropriate placement options. I was hired in less than a month! Recruiter, Sophia Isis, made the process easy and was a joy to work with.
  • Andrew, USA Placed in Shanghai

    I didn't know what professionalism was until I started working with Sophia Isis. She has always responded to my questions and comments promptly and in a friendly manner. With Sophia I have truly found my dream contract.
  • Christo, USA Placed in Shanghai

    I can't imagine even thinking of moving to China without the support of the team at Teaching Nomad. If it was not for them, I probably would have been on the next plane back home.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Teaching Nomad is your connection to teaching in China! We are a western owned and operated teacher placement agency operating in China. We take a lot of pride in connecting teachers with great teaching opportunities all over the country.





Contact Us

Address: Kangding Road No. 1018, Yi Ge Building, Third Floor, Suite 306 Shanghai, Prc

 Phone: (0086) 21 5172 0484