27 Jul

Getting Your Teaching License

2093 times Last modified on Thursday, 06 July 2017 06:44

If you're looking to turn teaching into a career or teach at an international school in China, it might be an idea to consider getting a teaching license. Not only does it qualify you to teach in your home country, a teaching license is also a requirement for employment at international schools across the world. Getting certified takes at least one year. In addition to time, you'll also have to invest money. Getting certified in England typically costs 9000 Pounds, while Canada and the U.S. offer courses starting at CND2500 and USD10,000 respectively.

U.S. Teaching License


In the U.S., the granting of teaching licenses is regulated by the state government, so specific requirements might vary from state to state. As a general rule of thumb you can follow these easy steps though:

Complete a Bachelor program at an accredited University if you haven’t already. All states require that certified teachers at a minimum have a Bachelor’s degree. Additionally, some states have undergraduate credit hour requirements for certification in specialty areas.

Apply for acceptance into a state-approved teacher training program and pass its entrance exam.

Complete the coursework and classroom areas required.

Upon successful completion of your coursework you get issued a provisional teaching license. With this license you can get a probationary one-year contract at Public school district. It is only after you finish your probationary period that you will get issued your permanent teaching license.

For more state specific information, check out these websites:


For Entrance Test Preparation materials:

Teacher Step Prep

Online Credentials:

Many states accept credentials from courses that were completed online or abroad, but the one-year probationary period has to be completed in-state in order to receive your permanent teaching license. More info on getting licensed online in California:

Cal State Teach
Rossier Online USC


United Kingdom


Teaching License In order to teach in England and Wales, one must obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Similar statuses exist in the rest of the U.K., but under different names. As is true in other English speaking countries, U.K. teachers are expected to possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

The easiest way to obtain QTS us through the one-year PGCE course. The PGCE carries credits towards a master’s degree, and it is a requirement asked of U.K. citizens who seek to teach at an international school in China. For more info on QTS.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education Online or abroad

For people living abroad several U.K. universities offer the PGCEi or PGCE overseas, which are graduate level courses. They do not, however, give graduates Qualified Teacher Status, which is conferred by the Teaching Agency on behalf of the Secretary of State for Education (England). While some international schools in Asia may accept these degrees for TEFL teaching positions, it doesn’t qualify you to teach at any school in the U.K. Online PGCE courses that allow students to obtain QTS will also require part of the coursework to be completed on-site in the U.K. 


Canada Teaching License


Because Canada is home to many bilingual schools, some provinces require teachers to pass a French proficiency exam. Also, teachers are required to have successfully completed an undergraduate program.

One of the unique features of the Canadian Teacher certification program is that candidates are required to have completed one year of teaching. This includes TEFL experience gained abroad.

Complete a one-year teacher’s college. There are numerous universities in Canada that offer this program. On the application, students are asked to state which grades they would like to teach and to provide a list of educational certificates or diplomas that prove one's qualifications.

After successful completion of the teacher’s college, all graduates will receive their teaching license. Non-native Canadians will have to complete an English proficiency test before they are awarded a license, and graduates looking to instruct in French-Canada will have to pass a French proficiency test.

For more information, click here.

About our company: Teaching Nomad is an American owned and operated education recruitment company based in Shanghai, China. Our goal and purpose is to help great teachers find great teaching jobs. Year round, we have hundreds of teaching job vacancies. Whether your goal is to be an ESL teacher or teach in an international school, we have a teaching job for you. You can browse jobs online at www.teachingnomad.com/job-search for the latest job openings. Teaching Nomad is here to make teaching in China easier, so please feel free to reach out and contact us with any questions or inquiries!

Teaching Nomad is your connection to teaching in Asia & The Middle East! We are a western owned and operated teacher placement agency with offices in Denver & Shanghai. We take a lot of pride in connecting teachers with great teaching opportunities.


Jobs on WeChat

wechat QR code


Contact Us

   Kangding Road No.1018, Third Floor, Suite 306 Shanghai, Prc

   1660 S.Albion St. Suite 911, Denver,CO USA

 (+86) 21 8031 8819

 (+1) 720 531 6136