The schools we work with provide the most lucrative compensation packages in the industry. Live great and save extra money!

Learn More 

Most options

Great schools nationwide with options for Professional, Experienced and beginner teachers in almost every subject!

Learn More

Outstanding Support

A personal placement consultant as your sole point of contact through the whole process.

Learn More

top rated

First off, you need to make sure you’re ready.  95% of schools are going to require at least a 1 year commitment. Everyone is relying on you to fulfill this obligation. The school’s reputation with the parents is based on the quality of their teachers. The parents don’t want to see their kids changing teachers every 3 months. It’s not effective for learning.  So, you have to go into it with the right expectations.  If you spent extended time traveling abroad in the past, then you have probably already developed the right mindset and will be ready to face the challenges that come with living in a foreign country. If you haven’t traveled long term, then just expect a period of adjustment. Part of the commitment of Teaching Nomad is to set you up with schools that have quality programs designed to make this transition time easier.

Not to mention, you’ll be working with many other expats that are typically very friendly people. When you’re an expat in China, it’s like you’re automatically inducted into the expat friend club. Everyone is welcome.  In addition, you will have bi-lingual staff at your school that can help you with day-to-day tasks that require speaking the language.   Speaking the language is the other big key to making you feel more comfortable in your new home. In some big cities like Shanghai, it’s not completely necessary to learn Chinese. Although, I do recommend you try and learn it ASAP unless you want to spend all your time at Malone’s, the American Café.

Ok, enough mindset, now for some practical info. If you’re working with a Teaching Nomad recruiter then you probably already know what information is required to get hired. You need to provide the following:  resume/CV, recent photo, copy of your college degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent), copy of your passport and a reference letter regarding teaching experience.  These documents are required for two major reasons. First, they verify you as a qualified teacher and second, they will be used to obtain your residence VISA and work permit.

If you don’t already have a passport, you will need to secure one of these. Unless you pay for rush processing, it’s going to take a few weeks so don’t put this off!  If you don’t know where to obtain your passport, just do a web search for passports in your country and I’m sure you’ll find it.

Next up, you’re going to need your temporary Z-VISA.  This will grant you entry to the People’s Republic of China.  Depending on your country, you need to apply for this VISA with the Chinese embassy that presides over the territory/state/province where you live. In many cases this means that the nearest embassy may be far away. Rather than traveling across the country you can use a VISA processing service like the one Teaching Nomad recommends, VISA HQ.  Of course, the processing company needs to give your passport to the embassy, so you have to actually send them your passport (not a copy). It always seems scary to me to send away my passport, so only use companies you can trust. Depending on the service you select, you will receive your passport back within a few days up to a week later with a beautiful Chinese VISA inside. The cost for your VISA is determined by the country you live in and how quickly you need it processed. This 30 day, temporary VISA will get you into China.  After you arrive, your school will start the process to secure your residence permit. Click here to learn more about VISA HQ services.

At this point you may want to consider travel insurance. Teaching Nomad recommends using World Nomad (unaffiliated) coverage.  This will cover things that the health insurance your school is providing will not, especially if you choose to do some traveling while you’re here. This insurance will cover things like:  lost or stolen baggage, emergency evacuation (in the case of natural disaster or illness), trip interruption/cancelation and much more. Click here to learn more about World Nomad’s travel insurance.

At this point, you’ve covered most of the necessities. You may want to think about taking some Chinese lessons before you go or buying Rosetta Stone. When packing, make sure to put those bags on a scale, because most airlines will only allow you two checked bags up to 50lbs for free on an international flight. You can then still bring one personal item (purse, briefcase) and a carry-on (backpack or duffel bag).  Done properly and you’ll probably arrive with more than stuff than needed.

Hope that helps!

Our blog

Teaching in Prison

Teaching in Prison

  “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use...

22 Jul 2020

Teaching in a Hagwon - Things to Know

Teaching in a Hagwon - Things to…

  Depending on your experience with teaching English in South Korea,...

29 Jun 2020

Reverse Culture Shock - Expectations and Coping

Reverse Culture Shock - Expectations and Coping

  Whether you've already started considering the effects that reverse culture...

25 Jun 2020

Transferring Money From China to a Foreign Country

Transferring Money From China to a Foreign Country

  Many foreign teachers working in China are able to save a substantial...

08 Jun 2020

Coping with Culture Shock while Abroad

Coping with Culture Shock while Abroad

While you're preparing to move abroad for the first time,...

11 May 2020

Useful Phone Numbers in China

Useful Phone Numbers in China

  Moving to a new foreign country can be a great...

07 Apr 2020

Moving to China To-Do List

Moving to China To-Do List

  Moving to another country can be intimidating, so here is...

25 Mar 2020

How I Got Started Teaching English Online

How I Got Started Teaching English Online

  Learn what it's like being an online ESL teacher, how...

24 Mar 2020

Happy Teaching Nomads

  • Kimmi, USA  Placed in Shanghai

    Kimmi, USA Placed in Shanghai

    I truly appreciate all the work that Teaching Nomad did upon arriving to Shanghai. Teaching Nomad helped with everything else once I landed, from paperwork to directions. Everyone at the agency is wonderful and extremely helpful and welcoming.
  • Rafael, USA  Placed in Shanghai

    Rafael, USA Placed in Shanghai

    Teaching Nomad was by far the easiest process I have gone through. I was able to get all the information I needed to continue with the job application. It was quick, efficient, friendly, and effective (I got the job).
  • Andrew, USA  Placed in Shanghai

    Andrew, USA Placed in Shanghai

    I didn't know what professionalism was until I started working with Teaching Nomad. They have always responded to my questions and comment promptly and in a friendly manner. With Teaching Nomad I have truly found my dream contract.
  • Elsie,SA  Placed in Shanghai

    Elsie,SA Placed in Shanghai

    Teaching Nomad helped me at a time in my life when I needed to make a positive career move. They helped me find a position in which I feel challenged, motivated and where I have the opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge as a teacher.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Teaching Nomad is your connection to teaching in Asia & The Middle East! We are a western owned and operated teacher placement agency with offices in Denver & Shanghai. We take a lot of pride in connecting teachers with great teaching opportunities.


Jobs on WeChat

wechat QR code

Reviewed on Go Overseas


Contact Us

  North Zhongshan Road No. 2000, Zhongqi Bldg., Suite 2501, Putuo District, Shanghai, PRC 200063

  3401 Quebec Street, Suite 9150, Denver, Colorado, 80207

 (+86) 21-8025-3905

 (+1) 720-531-6136

Authentications Hours:
8am - 5pm MST
Monday - Friday



Recover your password

Send us your email and we will send you instructions to reset your password

If you remember your password

*Required fileds