09 Jul
213 times Last modified on Tuesday, 17 July 2018 00:42

Get your documents authenticated stress free!

Document authentication isn't as bad as it sounds when you know what you're doing, so we've created a guide to help walk you through the process.

Document authentication guide

What is document authentication, and what does it mean to you as a foreign teacher?

Authentication, also known as attestation or legalization, is a requirement for teachers to gain a work permit in certain countries. China and the UAE are two of the big ones, but other countries that require authentication include South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Vietnam. The authentication process can be complicated and at times frustrating. But with the right preparation, and some help from Teaching Nomad, document authentication can be a very manageable process.

So, what does it mean to authenticate a document?

In simple terms, document authentication is when you have an official document verified by the embassy or consulate of the country that you will be teaching in. Typically, there are a minimum of three documents that you will need to have authenticated: Bachelor’s degree, TEFL/state teaching license, and a police/background check. However, some countries might require additional documents such as degree transcripts, and if you are bringing a spouse or children, then a marriage license or birth certificates may also be required.

What is the process for getting a document authenticated?

The exact process for document authentication will vary depending on your home country and the country you will be teaching in. To be safe, make sure you discuss authentication requirements in full with your hiring school! For more specific information on document authentication for China and the UAE, you can check out our guides.

Authenticating documents for use in China Authenticating documents for use in the UAE

In general, there are three steps to getting your documents authenticated:

Public Notary/Solicitor:

Have any notary public make a copy of the original document and notarize the copy.

Local Government:

Next, you will take the notarized copy and have it authenticated by your local government. In the United States this would be the Secretary of State. In the UK, this would be the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. The purpose of this is to establish that the Public Notary in step one is a legal and registered notary in your jurisdiction.


Once you have your notarized copy stamped and attested by your local government, you will take the document to the consulate or embassy in your jurisdiction for final authentication.

In some cases, you will be able to mail your documents into the consulate for authentication. However, in most cases the documents will have to be physically dropped off and picked up from the consulate. If this is the case, then there are a few different options:

Option 1 – Do it yourself:

If you live near a consulate or embassy, then it is possible for you to do the whole authentication process yourself, including dropping off and picking up your documents from the consulate.

Option 2 – Friends/Family:

If you do not live near your consulate, then you will want to have someone else hand the documents in on your behalf. One way to do this would be to have a friend or family member do the authentication for you in person. The benefit of this option is that it minimizes costs, and doesn’t require you to drive or fly long distances to get it done. The risk is that your family or friends may not be experts on authentication, and the process may be delayed due to complications or scheduling issues.

Option 3 – Agency/third party:

Lastly, if you can’t get to the consulate yourself and don’t have anyone who can do it for you, then there are several agencies that offer document authentication services, including Teaching Nomad**. Using an agency is a great option if you are currently overseas or simply can’t get to the consulate yourself to get it done. Even if you have access to your local consulate, using a third party can be a great option if you simply want to get it done correctly, efficiently, and peacefully.

**If you hold a U.S. passport and need any documents authenticated for China or the UAE, Teaching Nomad will complete the entire process from start to finish** 

Teaching Nomad can authenticate your documents!

How long does it take to authenticate documents?

If you do everything yourself, the process can be done in less than a week, assuming you do everything correctly. If you use an agency, then it may take two to three weeks. Of course, if you’re in a hurry, there are options to get it done in 1-2 business days, but this will cost extra.

How much does document authentication cost?

The minimum cost for each document will be around $40 per document for the government processing fees. You may assume that options 1 and 2 listed above are the cheapest, but you have to account for shipping and travel costs as well. Option 3 is a bit more expensive, as you pay for the convenience of having an agency or third party do it for you, but it saves you a lot of time and stress in the end. With standard shipping, you can expect to pay anywhere from $150+ per document.

Considering that most countries will require a minimum of three documents authenticated, be prepared to budget at least $500 for document authentication or more if you will need additional documents authenticated.

What happens next?

Once your authenticated documents are returned to you, then you will be using these documents to apply for your work permit. This is a process that will be completed by your school/employer. Eventually you will use the work permit to apply for a work visa.

Any more questions?

Document authentication can be a stressful process, but it doesn’t have to be if you do the research and use your resources. Use any of the above links, do your own research, and speak with your school to make sure you have all the help you need in getting your documents authenticated. If you want to get started or have more questions, go ahead and connect with us, and we'd be happy to help you!

 Contact Us

Teaching Nomad is your connection to teaching in Asia & The Middle East! We are a western owned and operated teacher placement agency with offices in Denver & Shanghai. We take a lot of pride in connecting teachers with great teaching opportunities.


Jobs on WeChat

wechat QR code

Reviewed on Go Overseas


Contact Us

   Kangding Road No.1018, Third Floor, Suite 306 Shanghai, Prc

   1660 S.Albion St. Suite 826, Denver,CO USA

 (+86) 21 8025 3905

 (+1) 720 531 6136




Recover your password

Send us your email and we will send you instructions to reset your password

If you remember your password

*Required fileds