As a teacher you have quite a built in advantage here in China. Teachers can earn anything from $1,500 –$4,000 per month. There are also plenty other benefits like free housing, free meals and 1-2 months of PAID vacation. China is a huge and varied country; the highest earning individuals are in the biggest cities and of course this is where the highest expenses are.
The apartment you choose to live in will ultimately affect every part of your cost of living. If you travel by subway to work you can pay .50 cents each way for the subway. Or you can spend $2 ($2 for the first 1&1/2 miles) or more on a cab ride. Yes, Uber is available.
A basic guide to go off of for apartment cost is:
- 3,800 RMB - One bedroom of a larger apartment in a tier 1 city
- 1,000 RMB – Entire one bedroom apartment in less developed city
Other costs you'll encounter:
- 25RMB/Hour - Housekeeper (called an Ayi)
- 500 RMB - Train ticket (Beijing to Shanghai)
- 180 RMB - 1hr massage
- 2,500 RMB - Electric scooter (very popular in big cities)
- 500 RMB - Bicycle
- 10 RMB - DVD
- 15 RMB - Video game (playstation, Xbox, etc.)
- 1,800 RMB - In-home Internet for the year
- 1,600 RMB - Plane ticket (Shanghai to Bangkok, Thailand)
- 5 RMB - Local beer
- 30 RMB – Imported beer
These are just a few examples of expenses you may come across while living and teaching in China. Moral of the story is by working with Teaching Nomad you are guaranteed to get a position that will pay you enough to live well, save money, pay off debts or any combination.