Stones (http://steppingstoneschina.net) is one of
Shanghai’s biggest volunteering programs, providing English lessons to
thousands of disadvantaged children in Shanghai and beyond.
are looking for a qualified, experienced and motivated teacher trainer to work
preferably for a minimum of one full year, predominantly but not exclusively on
the Teacher Training and Videolink Teacher Training programs.
· Deliver teacher-training sessions to local English teachers from several
primary schools for migrant children in Shanghai.
· Build on, refine and adapt the current teacher-training materials and
teaching approach to each particular group of trainees.
· Help select a number of trainees to become ‘Champions’, train them on
how to observe lessons, identify needs, and plan and deliver a course of
training, so they can then take over as the trainers at their schools.
· Visit the trainee teachers regularly to support their ongoing
· Train and support a small team of volunteers to provide weekly oral
English practice to the teachers in question. Develop materials to support this
· In conjunction with the Training Director, help define a teaching
approach, select and test software, develop a set of materials including videos
and PPTs, and recruit trainees for the Videolink Teacher Training Program.
· Deliver online teacher-training sessions to English teachers around
· Help support the online trainees with advice, feedback and encouragement
via an online platform.
· Assist the Training Director and Program Director in the monitoring and
evaluation of both teacher-training programs.
· Time allowing, assist with other related projects, particularly
Videolink, curriculum development and the Classroom Teaching Program.
· Educated to at least bachelor-degree level, and with a minimum English
Language Teaching qualification of CELTA, TEFL or TESOL, or Teaching Chinese as
a Second Language equivalent; Learn more about TEFL Certification options
· At least four years’ relevant experience, including teaching English or
Chinese as a Second Language, English teacher training and/or curriculum
· Interest in and / or experience of using technology for language
teaching and professional development purposes;
· Advanced-level minimum oral and written English communication skills;
· Strong management and organisational abilities: good team player with
ability to mentor and motivate staff, interns, volunteers and trainees;
· Strong interest and preferably some experience in the development sector
in China, especially in the education field and /or with migrant communities
and /or with volunteers; and
· Excellent work ethic with a positive and flexible attitude.
· To ensure the sustainability of the project, a long-term commitment is
· Working hours will be 40 hours per week, split between our office and
the local migrant schools.
· Note that some weekend work is required, as some trainings will be
scheduled then. We operate a flexible working schedule, where staff are
encouraged to take time off to compensate for overtime worked.
Salary will range from between 10,000-15,000 RMB
per month before tax, dependent on the skills and experience of the successful
applicant. Applicants seeking a part-time position may also be considered.
Medical insurance will be provided. Stepping Stones is unable to cover
relocation costs. Due to ongoing changes in regulations relating to non-profits
as well as visas, a working visa cannot be guaranteed.
The candidate should be available to start working
for Stepping Stones no later than 1st August 2017.
The Teacher Trainer will be based at Stepping
Stones’ office at 12F, Asionics Building, No. 6, Lane 1279, Zhong Shan Road
West, Shanghai, but some of the work will be carried out in the schools. Occasional working from home may also be
To apply for this position, please send your resume
to email@example.com by 9th June 2017 with a cover letter
to explain your suitability for this job position, and why you are interested