Teacher Link (https://teacherlink.teachingnomad.com
) is the teacher training and professional development division of Teaching Nomad (www.teachingnomad.com
). Together, we are one of the leading teach abroad recruitment and training companies in the world. We opened for business in March 2011 and operate from offices in Denver, Colorado, US and Shanghai, China.
The Job: Shanghai in-class TEFL course director
The core responsibility of this position is to operate our four-week teacher certification program in Shanghai. This is generally a full time role where you’ll teach 10-12 of the 20 days that is the course. Outside of that you’ll organize the schedule for the course and manage the other teachers. You’ll also be the point of contact for all the trainees.
We need a trained and qualified teacher who is a strong self-starter and can work with limited supervision. You’ll need to be an excellent communicator as you’ll be coordinating with colleagues in both Shanghai & Denver.
The course schedule on most days is 1pm - 5pm or 1pm -8:30 pm, Monday – Friday. The later finishes will be because of teaching practice sessions taught by trainees that need to be observed.
- A willingness to do some work outside of regular business hours to support new arrivals in Shanghai
- Supervise a team of two other trainers to ensure high quality course
- Liaise with recruitment staff to guarantee all course participants find full-time employment upon course completion
- Communicate with partner schools to ensure teaching practice sessions for trainees meet international standards
- Work on course development and make improvements to content and existing processes when necessary
- Reach out to prospective trainees via email and phone
- Teach part of a four-week TEFL Certification course to foreign and (some) Chinese nationals.
- Provide constructive criticism throughout the course and be available as a contact after students graduate.
- Maintain a supportive yet intensive course structure and ensure participants are having fun!
- Some administrative work such as making the course schedule, updating student records online & grading written assignments/lesson plans
- Our office is in Pu Tuo district, but most of the sessions will either be near dong bao xing road station on line 3 (hong kou) or Lu Ban lu on line 4 (huang pu)
- Challenging and immensely rewarded job
- Competitive compensation tied to workload and course enrollment
- All syllabus and course materials provided.
- Opportunity for growth as the company expands
- The curriculum/course structure is already in place, so there will be very little prep work.
- Work Visa sponsorship
- 3+ years of ESL teaching experience with either children or adults
- Strong preference for candidates already in China or with previous China experience
- Experience training teachers
- Completion of Classroom based TEFL, TESOL or CELTA course
- Masters degree required – Major in related field such as linguistics, English, TESOL, Education
- Pro-active and enthusiastic – a major part of your job will be developing new teachers
- Two positive references
About the students:
The student body is incredibly diverse. This past year we’ve had ex-military personnel, engineers, entrepreneurs, accountants, professional teachers, an MMA instructor, a doctor and many other professionals from 20+ countries looking for a new career. About 35% of trainees are usually recent college graduates, the rest are early to mid-career professionals looking for a change.
- 3 to 8 student teachers per class, from all over the world (mostly American and British)
- Native or fluent English speakers
- Ages 18-65 (the majority between the 25-35 years old)
- Both experienced and inexperienced student teachers