Qualifications for Teaching English Language

Apr 30, 2014

TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Language / TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

A basic first job will usually require a degree and a TEFL or TESOL certificate. There is quite a range in the types of TEFL/TESOL certificates that are available. Teaching Nomad has a partnership with a reputable TEFL provided based out of Denver, Colorado offering courses both online and in-class. To take a look at the programs available, please visit:  http://www.teflonline.com/teachingnomad/. Most schools in China will only recognize TEFL/TESOL certificates that are qualified as 120 hours or higher, so this is a good place to start. 

CELTA – Certificate in teaching English to speakers of other languages

A CELTA requires an intensive course and it is best to have a couple years of teaching experience before completing this certificate. It is very widely recognized and while it won’t be adequate to help you find a teaching position at most international schools, it will help you further your career as an ESL teacher or working in a university.

DELTA – Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

A DELTA is one of the best-known and most popular advanced TEFL/TESOL qualifications in the world. This diploma has many of the same benefits as the CELTA, but is at a higher level and will continue to further your career as an ESL teacher or at a university.

Qualifications for Teaching in pre-schools, primary or secondary education

Certified teacher is a person who has earned credentials from an authoritative body such as the government that allows them to teach in schools from their home country. A teaching qualification such as a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), Professional Graduate diploma in Education (PGDE) and the Bachelor of Education all enable a person to become a certified teacher.

After completing the necessary education, then teachers usually take the next step to become registered to teach in their home country. In America, teachers will be registered to teach in the specific state where they are from. In the UK, teachers will gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). In South Africa, teachers will be registered by the South African Council for Educators (SACE).

If a teacher is looking to teach in an international school in China, then it is highly recommended that they make sure that they are registered to teach in their home country. Some international schools accept teachers without this, but having this registration will give you the most options when looking for a teaching job. In addition to this, you want to maintain the certificate and not let it expire as schools will not accept an expired license.

Qualifications for Teaching International Baccalaureate Curriculum

Programme (PYP), Middle Years Programme (MYP), Diploma Programme (DP) and the IB Career-Related Certificate (IBCC). To teach IB curriculum, most schools want teachers with some experience teaching this curriculum. However, some will accept teachers without experience, making China a great place for teachers to gain experience! In addition to experience,

IB Certificates to continue professional development  

There are many levels of professional development and certification that teachers interested in teaching IB curriculum can take advantage of. This will all go a long way to make you a leading teacher candidate for schools utilizing this curriculum. Visit the International Baccalaureate website for more information: http://www.ibo.org/

More on Teaching Licenses in China, Different Curriculums in China & TEFL for Teaching in China


Recover your password

Send us your email and we will send you instructions to reset your password

If you remember your password