Earn your TEFL certificate in Shanghai, China!
About the location
- The TEFL course takes place in Shanghai, which is the largest city in China in terms of population.
- Shanghai is packed with both local and international restaurants, bars, parks, etc. for you to enjoy during your free time.
- With a population of over 24 million people, Shanghai is one of the most popular teaching destinations in China with plenty of TEFL jobs awaiting you.
- Earning your TEFL certificate in Shanghai will allow you to study Chinese at an affordable rate to better communicate with your students.
About the program
- It’s a 4-week-long TEFL course that is affiliated with the University of Northern Colorado.
- This course allows you to earn your TEFL certificate with the possibility of also earning graduate-level university credit that can be applied to an MA TESOL or a similar degree.
- Classes are usually run with a minimum of 3 students and a maximum of 8.
- You’ll get to participate in a minimum of 6 hours of teaching practice to prepare you for your teaching career.
- You’ll learn from excellent TEFL trainers who are ready to help you reach your full potential in the classroom.
Finding a TEFL job
- Job placement is guaranteed for teachers that meet China’s work visa qualifications.
- You will have free time on the weekends while taking the TEFL course, so you can get an idea of the area that you’d like to teach in after you complete the course.
- The demand for English teachers in China is high, so it is easy to find a teaching job in virtually any city that you’re interested in.
Shanghai TEFL course dates
Depending on your preference, you can choose to find your own housing while you’re completing the TEFL course in Shanghai, or you can choose to add one of our accommodation options to your TEFL package. All of our accommodation options will be near the TEFL center, and you’ll have easy access to both local and Western restaurants, as well as other attractions.
*Please note that housing is first come, first serve and trainees who book their course fewer than three weeks before the start-date are not always guaranteed housing.
We offer full job placement assistance for TEFL trainees that qualify.
Our partner company, Teaching Nomad, is a teacher recruitment company that is able to work with and place candidates in great teaching positions throughout China and many other countries around the world.
The typical qualifications needed to obtain a work visa in China:
- Hold a passport from a native English speaking country
- Hold a bachelors degree
If you don’t meet these qualifications, you can still take the TEFL course! It is also still possible to find a teaching job in China, and being in the country will help your job search tremendously.
Getting your documents authenticated to teach in China
The Shanghai classroom TEFL course comes with a fully authenticated TEFL certificate, if you choose to request it. This will be necessary for you to obtain a work permit in China, but if you don’t plan to teach in China, you’ll only need the non-authenticated version of your TEFL certificate.
The authenticated TEFL certificate that comes with this course is free to you, but it’s regularly valued at $170.
For U.S. teachers – we can also authenticate your other documents, such as your degree, background check, marriage license, birth certificates, etc. at a steeply discounted rate ($70 per document).We can also run a state-level background check for U.S. teachers that is $66.
All of these documents can be authenticated while you’re taking the the course, so you can start a teaching job immediately after finishing. Once you’ve enrolled in the course, just let us know which documents you need authenticated, and we will take care of it!
What course alumni have to say
Thank you for your wonderful guidelines on how to teach children English. I learned a great deal about all of the important fundamentals. I feel very prepared to teach English to a variety of types of learners. I feel confident in being able to help others to progress in learning English as I have progressed in learning to teach English. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in being a good TEFL teacher in another country or in your own respective country for that matter. Thank you!
The experience was unique because it was something I’d never done before and I wasn’t too sure what I was getting myself into! Therefore this was a good opportunity to learn something new and see if it was for me.
The course was very informative, inspiring and insightful. It stimulated my intellect and shaped my role as an educator. I now have knowledge about classroom management. I gained vast knowledge about learning theories and how to incorporate the elements from different theories into my lesson plan.
Teacher certification blogs
There are big differences between adults learners and young learners in the ESL classroom. Make sure you understand those differences before you decide which age group you want to teach.
Thailand is full of amazing experiences just waiting to be discovered, making it an incredibly popular tourist and teaching destination.
There are many obvious as well as not-so-obvious benefits of earning a TEFL certificate before moving abroad to teach. On the fence about starting a TEFL course? Check out some of the most important benefits that a TEFL certificate will give you!